Discover significant events in our history

The County Office, in Holton Heath, has a small archives section.  The County Archivists, Jo Satchell & Jenny Read, are always willing to help people find out more about our history in Dorset.  You can contact them through the County Office e-mail: office@girlguidingdorset.org.uk.

Old uniforms may be borrowed, but please contact the County Office as soon as necessary to talk over your requirements.

The County Badge

The County Badge derives from the ancient seal of Dorchester – it dates between 1340-1405.  In 1349 Edward III assumed the title of King of France, which is depicted by the quartering of the Arms of France – a blue field ‘powered’ with gold fluer de lis.  The 1st & 4th quartering are the Arms of France, the 3nd and 3rd are the Arms of England.

The County Standard.

The Standard was designed and finished in time to be dedicated at the County Rally at Kingston Maurward on 20th May 1926 by the Bishop of Sherborne.  The design includes the Guiding logo, the County Badge, the Motto Band ‘Be Prepared’ and four emblems which represented the four Divisions of the County at the time

 

North – an apple tree for cider making

South – a Dorset Horn Rame for sheep farming

East – a ship with red cross on sail for sea faring

West – a Cow’s Head for dairy farming

girlguiding-history
dorset badge
standard

2010

2010

100 years of Guiding. Poole District with FOGBI went to Brownsea Island on a special boat and held a candle lit procession up to the Commemorative Stone and renewed their vows. Lots of celebrations across the County all year. Rally at Kings Park Renewal of Promise 20-10-2010

1994

1994

1st Castervaria Camp held at Came Park Dorchester – the camp then moved to the Dorchester County Show ground a few years later

1977

1977

 

Queen’s Silver Jubilee Year – celebration held at Kings Park Stadium

1963

1963

Lady Baden Powell opened Brownsea Island for the Scouts and Guides and for the public to be able to visit.

1960

1960

Golden Jubilee Year – 50 years of Guiding – County Rally held in Weymouth and Lady Baden Powell attended

1953

1953

1953 – Coronation Year – a weekend camp took place at Herrison House Dorchester, Lady Baden Powell took the salute.

1931

1931

1931   Dudsbury Guide Camp –

The site was given to the Guides of Bournemouth by Lord Wimborne, to be used by them as long as there is Guiding in Bournemouth.
On October 3rd, the Chief Guide laid the foundation stone and by January 22nd 1932, the house was ready for the opening ceremony.  An appeal for £1,500 was launched and the Bournemouth Girl Guides Camp Association was formed in memory of Miss Myfanwy Jones

1930

1930

The visit by HRH Princess Mary was the highlight of the Dorset Guiding History.  She took the presentation of the flags and watched presentations by Brownies & Guides

20th May 1926

20th May 1926

1st County Rally was held at Kingston Maurward, attended by the Chief Guide, Lady Baden Powell, the Princess Royal, and the Lady Lilian Digby (the County Commissioner).

The County Standard was dedicated, by the Bishop of Sherborne.

 

1922

1922

12th Central Bournemouth Brownies

1918

1918

1st Dorchester Guides

 

 

Approx 1912

Approx 1912

1st Poole Co at Joliffee House, (Children’s Home) Poole